#75) Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread

I went out to a "girls' night" last weekend and thought it would be nice to add a sweet treat to the finger food menu... I had loads of bananas in the kitchen, and a couple handfulls of different kinds of chocolate chips kicking around... Well, what goes better together than banana and chocolate?

The banana bread was good, but I like a nice dense banana bread so to improve I would add another banana next time around. Also, the recipe I tweaked said to use all the batter in one loaf pan, but it was a lot of batter so I divided it into two loaf pans and got two nice loaves.

(PS - please forgive the poor photo, but souRIRE photography wasn't visiting last weekend)

I've got a few more bananas to use up this weekend... any suggestions for a banana sweet treat you'd like to see here?


2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup chocolate chips + extra for the top(I used a mixture of white and mini semi-sweet)
2 cups ripe banana (about 4 bananas)
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup (soy) milk
2 eggs


-Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare 2 loaf pans with spray oil.

-In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. Set aside.

-In another bowl, mix together bananas, butter, milk, and eggs. Pour over flour mixture and stir just until combined.

-Divide between two loaf pans.

-Sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top (up to you how much!)

-Put loaves in the oven for 3 minutes. Remove and run a butter knife through each loaf lengthwise and widthwise to swirl the chocolate. (I used a "sawing" motion so I didn't drag the batter all over the place)

-Return loaves to oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

-Let cool completely before slicing.


  1. I just made this and it's awesome! :mm:

  2. Looks good. I love a swirl in my bread.

  3. Looks awesome Dani. If you are still looking for banana recipes, Ina Garten has a banana nut crunch muffin recipe on food net.com that I absolutely love. You should check it out.

  4. thanks peabody... it was a nice change :)

    eliana I am gonna have to keep that one in mind for next time... sounds delish :)

  5. Hi Dani

    Unfortunately I have some sad news about Rosie from Baking Cakes Galore, Rosie passed away yesterday. I have written up a tribute to her on my blog and I am asking everyone who knew her if they would please take some time to leave a comment. I will be printing off all the comments to pass onto her husband.


  6. That banana cake looks so good!

  7. thanks kevin! banana is one of my fave ingredients, and this is one of the best ways i have used it :)

  8. I just made this and it turned out so, so good! Thanks!!

  9. thanks for sharing kaye! glad u liked it :)

  10. This Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread looks great! I think this would please everyone around the table.

  11. thanks chef basket :) it was a nice spin on one of my fave treats!