11.02.2008

#20) Autumn-Spiced Cupcakes with Ginger-Infused Cream Cheese Frosting


I have been daydreaming about this recipe for a while now. About 3 weeks ago the bf and I went to Bulk Barn and I loaded up on cloves, allspice, nutmeg... all the spices that remind me of Fall. But, other than my chai tea experiment, I haven't done anything with them. That all changed today :)

The bf recently had a bday, but because I am away for school, we weren't together for it. He flies into town tomorrow so I wanted to have a belated birthday cake-type surprise for him. Well, not so much a surprise becasue I can't keep a secret to save my life, but he will appreciate these little sweet treats no less.

All I done was take a basic vanilla cupcake recipe and added some cloves and allspice. For the frosting I searched high and low for a pipable cream cheese frositng, and thought I had found one here, but the end product was less than pipable and I was quite dissappointed. Nonetheless, here is my bealted birthday cupcake collection for my baby!


Cupcakes


Ingredients:

3 eggs
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp allspice

Steps:

- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tray with 12 cupcake papers.
- In a medium bowl lightly beat eggs. Add butter, oil, and sugar and beat until combined.
- Add milk, flour, baking powder, cloves, and allspice. Stir to combine. Beat with mixer for about 2 minutes.
- Divide batter between cupcake papers. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:

8 ounces cream cheese
5 tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
pumpkin spice (for sprinkling)

Steps:

- Bring cream cheese and butter to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and ginger until blended.
- Add sugar one third at a time and beat until smooth.

*Do not overbeat!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Dani! I'm sorry I haven't stopped by in awhile :(, after I switched blogs, I lost the links for some of the blogs I visited before. These look soo yummy and very autumny :). Ginger is one of my favorite ingredients, I've yet to have it in a frosting, though :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW oh WOW Dani those cupcakes are gorgeous!!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for your comments. thanks for coming back Sophie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the cupcakes look sensational. i love all the fall inspired ingredients! yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow - these look fantastic!I'm sure your boyfriend appreciated these a lot! Happy B-day to him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks gigi and kristen. he loved them and we ate them very quickly LOL. they don't look too good on my waistline :(

    ReplyDelete