1.25.2009

#39) Homemade Granola Bars



Wow! I made these little guys about an hour ago and we have the pan pretty much half gone already!!!

I have been wanting to make my own granola bars for some time now, mainly because I work at a school where nuts are not permitted, and it is quite difficult to find nut-free bars. Also, with the homemade version I know exactly what I am eating, and it doesn't involve any strange chemicals or weird preservatives :)

I found some homemade recipes for granola bars that involved sugar, but I decided the corn syrup was sweet enough, but if you are looking for an even sweeter treat, I would add about 1/3 cup brown sugar. As for the add-ins, I plan on trying raisins and cinnamon, maple syrup and banana, oh the list goes on - be as creative as you can be!

Ingredients

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup rice crispies (I used the Christmas ones, hence the green and red LOL)
2/3 cup coconut
2/3 cup chocolate chips (I used half white and half milk chocolate)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened (suggestions on how to lessen this amount?)
1/2 cup corn syrup (or honey if you prefer)
1 tsp vanilla

Steps (so simple!!!)

-Mix all ingredients together with your hands.
-Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and pat down.
-Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
-Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting into bars.

*Makes 16 bars

Printable Recipe :)


13 comments:

  1. Something about homemade granola bars just tastes better doesn't it!! And it is nice that you can put whatever you want in them too!! Too bad you didn't try something banana with these guys hehe...I bet that would have been delicious too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy i love these especially for breakfast on the go :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg me and granola hang out all the time! ;) These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love granola bars, they are the perfect pick me up!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. they didnt last very long, but they were good while they lasted LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo granola bars love them- YUM!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Danielle! I tried making some granola bars too, using a recipe from here:http://ourkitchensink.wordpress.com/2008/02/09/how-i-decided-to-create-granola-bars/
    I replaced the peanut butter in it with the same quantity of butter (1/4 cup) and my bars turned out great. They were on the crunchy side at first, and do occasionally break apart, but after a day or so in the tupperware they softened up some. Not as nice and chewy looking as yours, but still tasty and I guess they're better for me ;)

    Hope you're having fun teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can we lessen the sugar ? some of our folks are diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the taste was great but i had a hard time getting them to stay together so now its kinda like a mix to snack on but any way GREAT TASTE ( i used honey)

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad u liked it anonymous.... next time try to use a little more honey to hold it together :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. One way to replace some of the butter, that typically works pretty well, is to substitute with applesauce. I don't know if it would work with granola bars but I frequently do it with cookies and they turn out moist and great!

    ReplyDelete