11.28.2010

#81) Cinnamon Bread Pudding


Do you love food?

I love food. I love food so much that I really, truly hate to see any be wasted.

That's why bread pudding is such an awesome sweet treat - a real "recycler recipe" :) It lets you use up stale bread that would otherwise end up in the trash and you can dress it up with whatever fix-ins you have in the cupboard (chocolate chips, dried fruit, bananas)!

For this bread pudding I used some homemade raisin bread (compliments of my mother-in-law) and some whiskey left behind from a recent girls' night.

I made the dessert for a small potluck with some of the girls and it was a hit. Although I found it a tad too sweet, the pudding was rich and the sauce was gooey and delicious - sounds like a great dessert to me :)

What are your favourite "recycler recipes"?

Cinnamon Raisin Bread Bread Pudding

Ingredients

3 cups stale cinnamon raisin bread, torn into bite-size pieces
3/4 cups milk (I used skim)
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar (could easily use 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup brown sugar (could easily use 1/4 cup)
1 tbsp molasses
1/2 tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Steps

-Set aside bread.

-Whisk together milk, eggs, sugars, molasses, vanilla, and cinnamon.

-Add bread and stir to coat. Let sit for 20 minutes.

-Preheat oven to 350oF.

-Butter 6 muffin cups.

-Divide mixture between 6 muffin cups.

-Bake for 15-20 minutes until custard has set. (A kinfe should come out almost clean)

-Let cool slightly in cups before serving.


Whiskey Caramel Sauce

Ingredients

2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 oz whiskey
1/4 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream

Steps

-Melt butter and sugar over medium heat.

-Add whiskey and let cook off for about 10 minutes, stirring often.

-Slowly add milk/cream, stirring constantly. Cook over low-medium heat for another 5 minutes. (I made mine ahead of time and as it sit in the pot it got thicker)

12 comments:

  1. luscious Bread Pudding with a nice cinnamon flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a yummy looking bread pudding! Love the cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love bread too much...it never even has a chance to go stale here! i just have to toast it when i'm making a bread pudding.

    this looks great! i just might be able to not eat my bread for a day or two if i get to eat this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this recipe! Looks so delicious. :o:

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks kristen :) it had a really nice cinnamon falvour - not too powerful.

    kimberleyblue - it's worth letting the bread sit there bc it is a great dessert :)

    thanks clove!! let me know how it works out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, you can never go wrong with bread pudding! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pudding sure looks great! A delightful recipe to share with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so incredible! I am inspired to make my own caramel sauce now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true, peabody! it is so comforting :)

    thanks eft therapy :)

    i make caramel pretty often maris and it really isnt as scary as you may think.... that being said, every time it comes out differently :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks i love the collections of sites u post here…

    Thanx

    Sapna

    http://spicespulses.com/indian-spices-product/indian-masale/cinnamon.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been searching bread pudding recipes today - and saving bread bits forever - and I think yours is def. going to be the winning recipe. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks christa! Let me know how it comes out :)

    ReplyDelete