4.21.2012

#88) Cocoa Bliss Chocolate Cake

Okay guys, we've got less than two weeks left to go until our little bun comes out of the oven!  It sure is a very exciting time for us and we couldn't be happier, but I have a feeling if you asked my husband what the hardest part of having a pregnant wife is, he would surely say something about all the munchie missions I have sent him on in the last 9 months.  I have asked for everything from chips to burgers to slushies...  But for those of you who know me well, you know that I have asked, even begged, for chocolate cake!  And this hasn't been one of these one-time only, limited time offer cravings either - this one pops up every other week.  (My poor husband!)  So, knowing my weakness for homemade versus store-bought cake, he offered to make me a decadent, over-the-top chocolate cake full of whipping cream, cream cheese, and butter...  Oh yeah, I am that lucky ladies!  But sometimes its the simplest things in life that bring the most pleasure, so we worked together and made this very simple yet very satisfying chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.  No fancy ingredients, just all the good ones :)  Try it out the next time you are craving chocolate cake and you won't be disappointed, I promise!

                                                       Photo by souRIRE photography


Chocolate Cake 

Ingredients

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder (the better the cocoa, the better the cake!)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk (I used half evaporated milk and half water)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (don't skimp, trust me its worth every drop)
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Steps

-Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans.

-Mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.

-In a small bowl gently whisk together eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla.  Add to dry ingredients and mix on medium until well-incorporated.

-Stir in boiling water (don't worry, the batter really is supposed to be that thin).  Pour batter into prepared pans.

-Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Let the cakes cool in pans for about 10 minutes, then remove and let cool on wire racks.  Let cool completely then slather on the icing :)


Chocolate Icing

Ingredients

1/2 cup margarine, melted (I didn't have any butter in the fridge)
2/3 cup cocoa powder
3 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Steps

-Stir together melted butter and cocoa.  Add about 1 cup of icing sugar then half the milk.  Stir to incorporate.

-Add the remaining icing sugar, milk, and vanilla.  Stir to combine.  (At this point I like to give my Kitchen Aid a good work out and let it whip that frosting for several minutes to make it as fluffy as possible - so delicious!)

*Be sure to check out this week's "Sweets for a Saturday" here: http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.ca/2012/04/sweets-for-saturday-66.html

11 comments:

  1. Very nice looking cake!!
    I know it's delicious as I'm familiar with the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have exactly the same recipe that you have for this chocolate cake and I have been making it since I was a kid. Very moist, rich chocolate cake and using good quality cocoa makes a difference. This cake is even better the next day after the chocolate mellows. Great cake

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good! I am always in the mood for cake and chocolate. I don't have to be pregnant for it to strike either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A home made bun in the oven...
    Congrats Dani and Mr Dani :)))
    No wonder you have been MIA!!!
    I wish you all the best and can't wait to hear the news...Oh and the cake looks Amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dani is there a baby yet ??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Diane, I wonder if the baby is out. The recipe looks really great! Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baby is here and he is absolutely perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect desert to me is the one made from chocolate or containing Chocolate... I think this explains how I feel towards this recipe : YUMMM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A perfect desert to me is the one made from chocolate or containing Chocolate... I think this explains how I feel towards this recipe :

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi how much is one cup in grams?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Balapriya! It depends on which ingredient you are working with but I can tell you that 1 cup flour is approximately 130 grams and 1 cup white sugar is approximately 200 grams. Hope this helps :)

      Delete