12.20.2008

#29) Strawberry Truffle Brownie Cake


Do you like truffles? I do. Have you ever made truffles? I haven't even attempted them until today, and now I know why...

I have been toying with the idea of making truffles for a while now and seeing as my aunt sent me a bag of beautiful strawberries I decided I should make truffles with a fruit twist. What in the world was I thinking?????

I found a recipe for strawberry truffles here and am quite confident I followed it to the letter, but for some reason my filling would not set to a point where I could roll it into balls... What was I going to do????

Well, I tried using my truffle mold instead, but that just created one BIG mess so that was a no go...

So here I am in the kitchen with this delicious bowl of strawberry truffle-ish mixture and no idea what to do... Then it came to me - brownies plus this concoction would be delicious. So I whipped up a brownie batter and baked it....

Now that sheet of brownie looks kinda big, I thought. Brilliant idea #2 - make a layered brownie cake!

Turns out I piled on way too much of the "filling" and ended up with more of a "frosting" effect.

Say what you will about it, but this sweet treat took every bit of creativity and energy I had to offer!

It is far from my best attempt in the kitchen (it is messy, too sweet, and overloaded with chocolate) but not too bad of a save considering my amateur nature. If you have any suggestions about where I went wrong with the truffles in the first place, please let me know :)

Strawberry Truffle Mixture

Ingredients

2 cups strawberries (divided into 1 1/2 cups and 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp syrup
8 ounces chocolate
1 cup whipped cream (not part of original recipe, but part of my attempted save)

Steps

- Puree (thawed, if frozen) strawberries. Stir in cream, vanilla, and syrup.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler and add to strawberry mixure. Mix well.
- Fold in whipped cream and 1/2 cup of whole strawberries. Set aside.

Brownie Layers

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt

Steps

-Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 10X14 pyrex dish with parchment paper.
-Add sugar and vanilla to melted butter and beat.
-Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
-Add cocoa. Beat.
-Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat.
-Pour into pyrex dish and bake for 20 minutes.
-Remove from dish and let cool. Trim edges and slice into two equal sheets.

Combination

-Cover one brownie sheet with truffle mixture. Add second brownie sheet and repeat.

Try to enjoy :)

7 comments:

  1. Even though they ended in a mess I bet the taste was delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks pretty to me! I don't like "perfect looking" food :)
    This is just the way I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH that is just wrong! WOW!! Those look amazing. I'm sure i'm gaining weight just reading the receipe. YUMMY!!!!
    Thanks for the comment on my blog! www.bakingupchaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm... I think I like what you came up with even better than the original recipe! totally sinful!


    truffles are a tough one... it's all about the moisture balance. if the strawberries you used were fresh and juicy, it may have caused the final product to not set right... that why you'll see a lot of places use dried strawberries when it comes to truffles. don't give up, though! I would try them again, but use a dry ingredient like chopped nuts, or instead of vanilla, use a flavored extract. after you get that down pat, move up to a moist mix-in like peanut butter or bananas... once you master that, then you can go nuts with the juicier things like strawberries and cherries and the such.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for all the advice carrie, i really appreciate it :)

    maybe i will give them another try next Christmas haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. The taste is more important than the look, my guess would be that there is too much moisture in fresh strawberries, dried would be better or perhaps fresh raspberries. However none of that would stop me using the recipe.

    ReplyDelete