12.24.2008

#31) Cheesecake Bars with a Bakeapple Swirl



It is Christmas Day - can you believe it? I certainly can't!!!

Christmas Eve or not, yesterday I still got in to the kitchen :)

My bf's (actually my "fiance" considering he proposed this morning!!!) mom sent me a few bakeapples along with the presents with the hopes I would make her boy a bakeapple cheesecake. Well, a plain cheesecake with a simple bakeapple sauce didn't sound like enough fun for me so I decided squares with a sweet but bitter
bakeapple swirl would be more interesting... I hope you agree :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Bakeapple Swirl Sauce

Ingredients

2 cup bakeapples (fresh or thawed)
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Steps

- Bring berries and water to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pass through a sieve to remove the large seeds. Return to pot.
- Add sugar and vanilla and bring to a boil once again. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let cool and set aside.

Cheesecake Bars

Ingredients

1 cup butter, separated into 2/3 cup and 1/3 cup
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 pks cream cheese (light), at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
4 1/2 tsp lemon juice
2 eggs

Steps

- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Beat 2/3 cup butter with brown sugar. Add flour and crumbs.
- Remove 2 cups and put in another bowl. Add the remaining butter (melted) to the new bowl. Mix and push into a 9x13 pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Beat in milk, lemon juice, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until smooth.
- Pour half of cream cheese mixture over cooled crumb crust. Add tablespoon-sized dollops of bakeapple sauce. Pour remaining cream cheese mixture over top and add dollops of bakeapple sauce (reserve remaining sauce for decoration). Use a toothpick to create swirls.



- Sprinkle crumb mixture over top. (I didn't use all of it and the fiance said he would actually prefer it without any next time)
- Bake for one hour. Let cool completely before cutting. Drizzle sauce over top of individual squares.

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on the engagement! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!!
    Happy Holidays!!!
    Good luck in your upcoming internship!!!
    and yes, really nice recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations :)

    The swirl looks nice I bet these are delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks everyone. we are VERY happy :) and the squares are delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty pictures... looks amazing.Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how wonderful! congratulations to you both as you plan your nuptuals!!!

    I'd never heard of bakeapples, but now that I've googled them, i want some!


    congrats again, and Merry Christmas! or happy Boxing day, I suppose would be more appropriate today! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! Your new blog layout is soo cute :). I like the swirly action going on in that cheesecake dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A friend of mine tried this recipe, and she let me sample... It was so yummy! My new favourite bakeapple dessert! I plan to try and make it real soon, I was wondering how much sugar do you mix with the cream cheese? White sugar? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry about that sonya... it is 1 cup white sugar... let me know how they come out :)

    ReplyDelete