12.23.2008

#30) Chocolate Christmas Bells


This past summer I posted about peanut butter balls, an all-time favourite in our house. For Christmas there is always a batch of peanut butter balls in the fridge, but this time I wanted to improve this sweet treat for the holidays. The original recipe we have used for years calls for parowax and this imparts an unusual quality onto the chocolate - it becomes waxy (duh! haha) and sticks to your teeth. Regardless of this we have eaten batch after batch of these things and still love. But like I said, for the holidays I wanted them to be perfect. I have tweaked the recipe just slightly and now this favourite sweet treat is even more irresistible :)

Ingredients

2 cups peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 - 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 cup rice crispies

2 cups chocolate
2 tbsp shortening

Steps

- Put peanut butter, butter, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl. Put in microwave for 30 seconds and mix together.
- Add vanilla and rice crispies. Add icing sugar until the mixture reaches a dough-like consistency. - Roll into balls.(It would be helpful to refrigerate the mixture before rolling into balls). Refrigerate balls for 15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate and shortening in double boiler. Use two spoons to dip balls into chocolate. Place on cookie sheet covered with waxed paper. Refrigerate until stiff.
- Try not to eat them all at once :)

9 comments:

  1. Dani, these look really delish!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound great and I love the picture, I also really like how you decorated the date on your blog. How did you do that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a nice treat! Ilove peanut butter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh yes they do look mighty yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! these look great! sorry I haven't been by in a while... love the festive layout you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Maria! they are disappearing very quickly :)

    Hi Megan!!! My bf took the pic. we had lots of fun with it :)

    Oh Snooky Doodle, PB is my second love lol

    Leslie - "yummy" doesn't even come close, lemme tell ya :)

    Welcome back Carrie. dont be a stranger!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum-my! Happy Holidays!
    There's a giveaway on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! Your killin' me, I'm trying to be good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've always called these treats Reindeer droppings :) Yum!

    ReplyDelete