4.12.2009

#54) Mini Bakeapple Lava Cakes



We are invited out for Easter dinner today so, as usual, I took on the role of "dessert maker." The friend hosting dinner is the very same friend who recently gave me some bakeapples. I thought it only appropriate to make a divine dessert with these tart berries for the evening. I wanted to do a simple cake, nothing too fancy, because I am still in the experimenting stages with bakeapples and do not want to pair it with the wrong flavours. (As I have mentioned before, there are virtually no recipes written for bakeapples so it is all experimentation for me!). Then I thought, wouldn't it be cute to give everyone their very own dessert? Of course! So I divided the batter into my jumbo muffin pan and got these adorable little cakes. Slice them in half, pack some berry filling, and presto - individual desserts! I know many of your do not have access to bakeapples, or even know what they are, but I can tell you that this sponge cake paired with a raspberry or blueberry filling would be amazing! Play with it :)

Happy Easter!!!

Sponge Cake

Ingredients

3/4 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
3 eggs, room temperature (beaten)
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp flour

Steps

-Cream butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until the mixture is pale in colour and light and fluffy.
-Add beaten eggs, a teaspoon at a time, beating well after each addition.
-Sift flour and salt and carefully add to the mixture, folding in with a metal spoon or spatula.
-Bake in greased pan(s) for 25-30 minutes, until golden and pulling away from sides.
-Let cool completely, cut in half (if applicable), and add filling*.
-Dust with icing/caster sugar.

*Berry Filling

Ingredients

2 cups raspberries
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1.5 tbsp cornstarch

Steps

-Bring berries and 1/3 cup water to a boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
-Strain the berry mixture and return to heat.
-Add cornstarch to remaining water. Whisk into berry mixture.
-Add sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
-Cool completely.

9 comments:

  1. How nice ! these must taste awesome. Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've yet to make a sponge cake but I am a big fan of individual desserts, these are really fun :). Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the caramel oozing out. My mouth is watering...

    ReplyDelete
  4. snooky - happy easter to u too :)

    baking - thanks!

    sophie - u have to try it. it is always a crowd pleaser :)

    jackie - it is not caramel, but berry filling. although caramel would taste great too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look adorable...and I'm drooling over the way that filling is oozing out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohh yum!! This bakeapple stuff sounds very yummy...too bad they don't sell that around here :o(

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cakes look fantastic!!! I have never heard of bakeapples.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG - these are the cutest little desserts ever!

    ReplyDelete