4.26.2009

#57) Hawaiian Drops


This, boys and girls, is my new baking reality - no dairy, no fat, no yolk.... BUT, please don't feel bad for me because these cookies were awesome!!! Jam-packed with pineapple and raisins, the texture was soft and chewy, and with combo of brown sugar, honey, and maple syrup, the flavour had many layers and left me wanting more every time I took a bite.... I have to say, these new restrictions don't seem to be too hard to deal with, my only issue is the change in the texture of my sweet treats, but I am sure I will get used to that... And better yet, now my treats are healthier so I can eat more of 'em, right? :)

Ingredients

1/4 cup flour
2 cups rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 egg whites
1/4 cup applesauce
3 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup pineapple, crushed with juice

Steps

-Preheat oven to 350°F and grease or line a cookie sheet.
-Mix together dry ingredients. Set aside.
-Beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Add applesauce, syrup, and honey. Mix well.
-Stir in raisins and pineapple.
-Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and let sit for 10 minutes.
-Spoon onto sheet by tablespoonful and bake for 20 minutes.
-Let cool on wire rack.

8 comments:

  1. these look great, nice and healthy treat yeahhhhhhh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard to make healthy baked treats. But these look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about that, but I have to do dairy free, and you can make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds healthily delish!:p: oh your smileys are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. snooky - they are certainly healthy... my students weren't too impressed when i told the that!

    eliana - it is a learning process but i stray back to the butter more often than i should :)

    mermaid - i am finding that soy can be used in a lot of places i wouldn't have thought to use it so it is getting easier

    chocoalte - delish indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds fantastic!! I love baking without any added fat, it's not as hard as people think and it can be SO TASTY!!! Can't wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These actually sound really tasty and light! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowwowwow! Impressive. Love these flavors and how light these cookies are, I could eat them for breakfast and not feel guilty :P.

    ReplyDelete