4.17.2009

#55) No-Fat Banana Muffins


So a recent visit to the doctor ended in me being told I have a difficult-to-manage digestive issue... Well, that sounds fun! And when he said "difficult-to-manage" he wasn't joking: no dairy, no red meat, no egg yolk, less sugar, less fat, no alcohol, no carbonated beverages, minimal raw fruits and veggies... I will stop there as not to bore you. Based on that you can imagine the difficulty I am having in the kitchen, both with cooking and baking. I have a pretty good handle on the cooking side of things, finding new ways to dress up chicken and potatoes, but I am still struggling with the baking - I mean really, no butter and no egg yolks?!?!?!
This recipe is my first attempt at something safe for me, and I gotta say I wasn't super pleased, but wasn't super disappointed either. The muffins have a toughness to them, but it is almost forgiven due to the intense banana flavour.... You be the judge!

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 egg whites
2 mashed bananas
1/4 applesauce, unsweetened

Steps

-Preheat oven to 350°F and line 12 muffin cups.
-Stir together dry ingredients.
-In another bowl, mix together wet ingredients. I left some small chunks of banana in my mixture and it was very nice in the end product.
-Add wet ingredients to dry mixture and stir just until combined.
-Divide between 12 muffins cups.
-Bake for 20-25 minutes.

15 comments:

  1. Wowzer, I thought I had it bad with a lactose intolerance. Sorry to hear that, hope you keep baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I am so sad to hear that...but don't get too discouraged, there are lots of recipes and alternatives out there to help people in situations like yours. I look forward to seeing some of your new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I m sorry for you, but I m sure you ll get more creative and make delicious recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. leave out the eggs and your muffins will be softer grained. the eggs are not required for muffins. i never add eggs to my muffins because they just toughen the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed that these are fat free, and they sound bananariffic :)! I understand what you mean about the texture though, I find the same thing when I try to bake lowfat, it ain't easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When life throws you lemons, make lemonade! I now look forward to checking out your blog for my figure friendly recipes. My waist, hips and thighs will be very thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mermaid - it is annoying, but i am learning to cope :)

    liesl - you're right, i am starting to find many alternatives (soy being the most popular)

    snooky - i am trying to be as creative as possible bc i love my sweets :)

    anon - thanks for the tip!

    spohie - the scarifices we make LOL but i did notice the muffins had a much nicer texture the next day.

    vincent - thanks! i am all signed up :)

    eliana - thanks! but u will still find some guilty pleasures here bc more times than not i bake for others.... but i do have a pineapple cookie coming up i think u will like!

    ReplyDelete
  8. NO FAT?? Wow I'm very proud of you for pulling this off! Mmm I love banana muffins...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's a lot of changes in the kitchen for you then! Looks like you'll adapt just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sound like me!! My digestive system is ANYTHING but happy... good luck with your new diet (it sucks at first but after a while it gets better... you don't feel as sick!).

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dani-- I know I'm a little late responding to this post, but when I read about your stomach issues, I rememered a low-fat chocolate muffin I had once made with pumpkin.

    I tried doing a search, and while I couldn't find the recipe I was looking for, I did come across this site which has a slew of low-fat/no egg yolk recipes.
    http://www.bellybytes.com/recipes/muffins.shtml

    also, have you tried looking on CookingLight.com ? they tend to have great recipes for health-minded individuals.

    all that aside.. glad to see you still baking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey it's better for your heath and your waistline!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks everyone for all the tips and advice!!! I am trying very hard to stay away from the bad stuff, but being home with my family right now is making very hard to bake anything healthy... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the tasty recipe .. :-)

    ReplyDelete